It’s now 5.58pm on Friday 30 December as I start to write this. It’s the last working day of the year and oh my God what a year it has been. I haven’t updated this space in months, but I thought I would pen down my top 5 2016 moments to cap off the year.
- My little growing family. Daniel and Mariam are now 3 and 1 (2 in February) and if you follow either my or Vivy’s instagram accounts, you’ll see they’ve become cheeky, playful toddlers with bottomless amounts of energy. They are our little pieces of heaven and all stress seems to go away while we’re with them (for the most part).
- Vivy. Her show, her press coverage and her ability to handle them all. It’s been an amazing year for Vivy and I couldn’t be prouder. She was featured on Forbes (3 times), The New Yorker, CNBC, BBC and almost every local media channel there is. She was also the first hijabi model on the cover of Malaysia’s Harper’s Bazaar as well a model for………..LV!!! I know that’s her proudest one because she is IN LOVE with that brand.
- FashionValet gets investment from Start Today. Who? You know…the Japanese company who owns Zozotown.com. The largest online fashion mall in Japan. They only do something like USD1.5 billion sales a year. We were totally cool when we closed the deal, but was a totally different story when we went to their warehouse. Hundreds of thousands square feet of pure warehouse and logistics goals. They had scanners for everything, conveyor belts sorting clothes, parcels and people were just throwing them on the belts and the machines figure out where to send it. We also learned a lot from them about how to run a profitable e-commerce business which is what I think many people are struggling with in Southeast Asia.
- Duck just keeps growing and even thought there are extremely stressful moments such as launch days, supplier issues, misprints, marketing not good enough, etc. (Vivy gets more stressed about these than me). It’s great to see the brand open in Pavilion and hopefully it’s a stepping stone to get more local brands in the best malls in Malaysia.
- Vivy (yes again), but this time it’s the fact that I got to spend more time alone with her. A lot of people think that just because we work together we’re always “together”. Truth is that our work has totally different scopes so most days we don’t even see each other until we get home. We both made more effort this year to have meals just the two of us, spend time together in the evening just talking about random stuff and we would even match our travelling schedules so we could spend an extra day together. Thanks to our great teams in FV, dUCk and our parents, we were able to take some real holiday time away to Bali and Paris just the two of us and not worry about anything back home.
Here’s to a great 2016 and may 2017 be better.